Summer is here, baby classes are on holiday, soft play is completely sold out and budgets are unfortunately tighter than ever. You’ll be forgiven for looking at the calendar in a panic thinking: “how on EARTH am I going to keep everyone entertained?!” This summer holidays we’ve rounded up our top ten free things to do in London with kids that money can’t buy. That’s right, they’re all completely FREE!
- Be wowed by the Rosetta Stone and Egyptian mummies at The British Museum. Simply book ‘tickets and a time slot to gain entry. Donations are encouraged but not mandatory and with wheelchair access, baby changing facilities and food & drink onsite, it’s got most bases covered.
- Take your little ones deer spotting in Richmond Park – you’ll find whole herds and they do indeed look like reindeer, so it’s a rather magic one on our free things to do in London list!
- Climb to the top of Glaze Hill in Greenwich Park and checkout the leafier side to the capital and the beautiful views of London’s skyline.
- Push buttons and marvel at all the water-based, construction and sensory experiences at The Science Museum. Again, simply pre-book a ticket online for entry.
- Watch the pelicans of St James’ Park being fed from behind Duck Island Cottage, near Horse Guards Palace every day at 2.30pm. Venture to the heart of the park and discover the Tiffany Foundation with a 20ft water plume!
- Head to Covent Garden for enthusiastic and awe inspiring street entertainers in the Piazza for the kids along with plenty of watering holes and boutiques for the parents. One of our favourite free things to do in London!
- If you have a couple of scallywags on your hands then exploring Captain Hook’s wooden ship inspired by J M Barrie’s: Peter Pan, at the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Playground is sure to be a hit.
- Fancy walking off all that chocolate? Join one of the inspiring London walking tours run by Strawberry Tours. Choose from Harry Potter, James Bond, or get spooky with a Ghost Tour!
- The stunning Somerset House has options for the whole family. Splash in the fountains if the weather’s good (just make sure to pack some spare clothes!) or take advantage of the house’s free guided tour.
- No London day out is complete without watching the Changing of the Guard inside the gates of Buckingham Place. Just check the schedule before!
What are your favourite free things to do in London with kids? Add to the comments if you think we’ve missed anything!
Fancy a trip abroad? Read our review of a family holiday at the TUI Aphrodite Resort in Cyprus!